Friday, April 30, 2010

Does This Make Me a Home Schooler?

I really did mean to take some pictures of today's adventure, but I was too busy. I had 22 homeschoolers (children and moms) in my backyard to see some of my projects. I've had more than that many people in my yard before. Heck, we have more than 50 here for parties every summer. But I've never tried to lecture them all. And I learned a few things from the experience.

1. Other people find my backyard agriculture projects much more interesting than I do. This I assume is because I have been doing it for some time now and it is old hat to me now. Or maybe I just need to get my mojo back.

2. I really need to write up an outline to follow when showing people around. I did a reasonable job explaining what various projects were and what had or had not worked, but I realized after folks had gone that there were several bits of info I did not communicate, or not clearly.

3. Lecturing is a skill, and I need to practice it if I intend to do much of it. My voice is just not that strong these days. It would be if I were to exercise it more, but I don't do that much talking, and talking for an hour over the sound of kids and chickens and the occasional airplane was much more than I was used to. Next time I plan to give a tour, I should do a singing warm-up first (and in private- a concert is not going to be part of the tour!)

No comments:

Post a Comment