Wednesday, March 17, 2010

By Popular Request

Several folks requested the Lemon Curd recipe, so here it is.

6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 scant cup FRESH lemon juice, strained


Beat together in a nonreactive mixing bowl (I use my Kitchenaid), then place over a pan of simmering water and cook for about 10 minutes. Don't wander away or it may overcook and curdle on you!

When the curd is thickened to about the consistency of pudding, remove from the heat and whisk in:

1-2 Tablespoons of lemon zest, depending on your taste for lemon (a microplane grater is the only way to go on this)

8 Tablespoons unsalted butter, one Tablespoon at a time

When the butter is all melted in and the curd is a bit cooled, pour into clean dry containers for storage. Makes about 4 cups of lemon curd.

THIS WILL NOT KEEP IN THE PANTRY! It will keep in the fridge for a few weeks, in the freezer for a few months (it won't freeze solid, and thaws quickly, so the freezer is an ideal place for it).
I can't imagine a batch of lemon curd going bad in storage. It is all I can do to keep from sucking it down straight. We'll be trying it in homemade ice cream later this week- I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. I have been told you can mix the butter in with the eggs, sugar and juice at the beginning, but I have not tried this yet.

    ReplyDelete