Saturday, March 13, 2010

Bye Bye, Bees.

Somebody narc'd on me.
I don't know which neighbor it was (although I have strong suspicions) but one of my neighbors complained about my beehive. So a couple of city Vector Control workers came by the house Friday morning and said it would have to go. I brought them into the backyard to see the hive, stood a foot away from the entrance, and let a bee land on my hand to show them it wasn't a so-called "africanized" hive, the bees were not aggressive, and any fears about them constituting a danger to the public were groundless. No dice. They said once the complaint was made, the hive had to go.

I could have fought it. The Long Beach city ordinance is a little vague (see it at http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=16115&stateId=5&stateName=California  and search on "bees"). But the neighbors I suspect are involved are moving soon. I intend to wait 'till the new ones move in, and see if I can get more cooperation, and less paranoia, from them.

Fortunately, a lot of amateur beekeepers are looking for bees right now. Within a few hours of posting my plight on the Backwards Beekeepers Hotline (call them at (213) 373-1104 if you need a swarm removed in the LA area), I had two offers to come get my bees. Saturday evening, a man named John came by, loaded my hive into the back of his gardening business truck, and left with my ladies. He left me some fresh eggs from his hens (the dark brown are from a Maran hen) and a jar of the best lemon curd I have ever tasted. I MUST learn to make that stuff properly!

It was a sad thing to see the little ladies go, but I am optimistic that I will get to try again.

2 comments:

  1. That's sad. I was happy to learn that you had bees. I'm glad that at least they went to a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sniff, sniff...that was hard work. a real shame

    ReplyDelete